Organization of the UPA-BUA
The UPA-BUA is run by a Board of Directors of about twenty members representing the profession. It is this council that elects the Bureau and organizes specialized commissions or working groups.
Board of Directors and Bureau
Here is the current composition of the Bureau:
- Didier HOLEMANS (President / Brussels)
- Michel PROCES (Secretary General / Brussels)
- Brigitte DE GROOF (Deputy Secretary / Brussels)
- Christian RAMETTE (Treasurer / Brussels)
- Erwin SPITZER (French Vice-President)
- Philippe LAPORTA (Dutch Vice-President).
The other members of the Board of Directors are:
- Igor BAWOROWSKI (Brussels)
- Cédric BOURGOIS (Louvain-la-Neuve)
- Christian DUBOIS (Braine l'Alleud)
- Christian FLAMAND (Braine l'Alleud)
- Bernard HEMELEERS (Brussels)
- Marie-Sophie HUBERT (Brussels)
- Gerard KAISER (Rixensart)
- Jan KETELAER (Zaventem)
- Philippe LAPORTA (Brussel)
- Pierre LIMBOR (Oostende)
- Giulia MARVERTI (Tubize)
- Marie-Madeleine MENNENS (Itterbeek)
- Benoît RAMET (Nivelles)
- Christian RAMETTE (Brussels)
- Thomas SERCK (Gent)
- Pierre VAN ASSCHE (Brussels).
Commissions and working groups
Several commissions work within the UPA:
- the unit price commission (responsible: Christian RAMETTE)
- the Van Hove Prize Commission (responsible: Pierre VAN ASSCHE)
- the travel committee (managers: Nicole CASTIAUX and Christian DUBOIS)
- the permanent training committee (responsible: Michel PROCES)
- the finance committee (responsible: Christian RAMETTE).
Working groups or sections are also created on specific topics, according to the actual needs, such as the section "UPA-Youth".
The UPA-BUA has active members in many professional bodies: Order (Cfg-OA, Vlaamse Raad), UWA, AriB, BVA, Council of Architects of Europe (CAE), etc.
She also represents architects in various professional, scientific and technical organizations such as CSEC, UBAtc, AR-CO, etc.
Important dates in the history of the UPA:
1932 Foundation of UPA-BUA
1939 Law on the Monopoly of Architects
1954 Construction of the Maison des Architectes Ernest Allard Street 21
1963 Institution of the Order of Architects (taking over part of the functions of associations)
1965 Van Hove Legacy of the House of Architects at UPA-BUA and FAB
1982 Launch of the Van Hove Award
2012 Constitution of the non-profit Architects' House (AH).